Friday, September 10, 2010

"Catching Up"

I have been soooo busy with my Mom, and I've neglected to post about some things, but here goes with "catching up":

First of all, we helped our friend, Colleen, celebrate her 50th birthday this summer. Why, you ask, would I make my friend wear a funky hat with "Golden Oldie" on it? Maybe because that friend bought me the hat and made me wear it at my 50th birthday party. :0)

The week before school started, Bob's cousin, Natalie, and her family "kidnapped" Lyle as they passed through Redding and took him camping at Gold Bluffs Beach Campground over on the coast. Bob's aunt, Natalie and her husband Ted, and their four kids go camping every year with several families. Can you imagine tent camping with a total of 17 kids? I can't!! :0)

Lyle had such a great time. Some of the highlights were seeing the Roosevelt Elk, hiking Fern Canyon, and Auntie Yvonne (who is from Hong Kong) making Chinese dinner for them all.


By the way, if you have never been to Fern Canyon, you should go!! It's not too far from Trinidad. This is how one website describes it: "Imagine walking through a narrow canyon where the walls are completely covered by luxuriant ferns and mosses and are dripping with moisture. That describes Fern Canyon, an unforgettable natural wonder that Steven Spielberg chose as a location for Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World. This level trail of about one mile follows Home Creek as it courses through the forest. The vertical walls sprout an amazing variety of ferns (five different kinds) and other moisture-loving plants and mosses. Depending on the time of year, there is a constant drip-drip of water trickling down the canyon walls. During summer months, foot bridges are installed over the creek to make this trail easier (and dryer). One can hike into the canyon and back, or continue on to a trail/stairway that climbs out of the canyon. At the top, turn left to return along the canyon rim, with fine views into the canyon and out to Gold Bluffs Beach."

Lastly, I wanted to post pictures from the first day of school. Hilary started school on August 16th and Lyle on the 19th. Hilary is attending Shasta College for another year, and Lyle is a Junior at Redding Christian High School. One of my kids' favorite things is having their picture taken on the first day of school -- NOT!!! Next year when Hilary goes away to school, I know that is one tradition she will NOT miss!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed "catching up" with the Jones crew! I am not a hiker but that Fern Canyon looks like it would be worth the trip. I'm glad I'm not the only mom who still does first day of school pictures too. :-)

    ReplyDelete