Sunday, September 19, 2010

Worry Wart

I’ve spent an awful lot of time in my life worrying. I’ve worried about grades in school, getting hurt or injured, jobs or the lack of jobs, deadlines, shrinking budgets, offending people, diseases and illnesses, bills and expenses, rising gas prices, terrorism, whether I would get pregnant, getting in a car accident, the future, first impressions, my husband’s health, and on and on. I’ve even worried about having my house in “perfect condition” for company, and within seconds of their arrival, the house is turned upside down and no one even notices.

AND THEN I HAD CHILDREN! So, added to the list above I had to worry about their health and safety, peer pressure, their education, what the world will be like when they are older, my parenting skills (or lack of them), where they are (when it’s one minute past midnight), their friends, and on and on.

And sometimes, on rare occasions, I even worry because I have nothing to worry about! :0)

Then I came across this (unfortunately, it didn’t have the author’s name to give credit where credit it due)…

“Think about it this way: Christians who worry believe God can redeem them, break the shackles of Satan, take them from hell to heaven, put them into His kingdom, and give them eternal life, but just don’t think He can get them through the next couple of days. That is pretty ridiculous, isn’t it? That we can believe God for the greater gift and then stumble and not believe Him for the lesser one reveals an embarrassing lack of faith.”

Boy, do I have an “embarrassing lack of faith!” Over the span of my lifetime, worrying accounts for hours and hours of invaluable time that I'll never get back. So, I am going to try to use my time more wisely.

“Give all your worries and cares to God,
for He cares about you.”

I Peter 5:7 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I am also a worrier. So much so that I wrote a book on it to see if doing the research would help. Indeed, it does. But I'm a work-in-progress. You may want to check out my book; I still do. It's called THE WORRYWART'S PRAYER BOOK. It's filled with affirmations, prayers, and anecdotes as well as Scripture aimed at calming your fears. I also have a blog (and I worry that I don't keep it current enough), called THE WORRYWART'S CORNER. Meantime, give all your worries to God. He's the only one Who can make any sense of them.

    ReplyDelete