Friday, July 16, 2010

Not My Definition Of Fun

Let me just say, "Backpacking is not my idea of fun." But, my kids both LOVE it!! Last week, Lyle went on a Backpacking Trip to the Trinity Alps with RCS's Venture Club. Here's some pictures taken on Monday morning before they left. The group shot is missing Mr. and Mrs. Henry since they came up a day later.

Strapping on a 35 pound pack and walking a total of 20 miles just is not my idea of a fun time. Hiking an additional 18 miles with a day pack doesn't sound like fun either. Seeing bears and hanging your food high up in trees at night is NOT an "adventure" for me. Not getting to take a shower or bath for a week makes me cring. Killing 3 rattlesnacks, skinning, cooking, and eating them does not appeal to me. Taking 2 shirts and 1 pair of shorts for the whole week sounds crazy to me. Eating freeze-dried food does nothing for my appetite! :0) Guess I am a WHIMP!!!

Here's some pictures I took when they got home on Friday. You wouldn't believe how dirty EVERYTHING was:


Lyle didn't get his clothes hung up high enough in the trees, and the deer got ahold of 2 of his shirts and a pair of boxers and ATE THEM!!! Yes, can you believe it? Here's a picture of one of his shirts. It was covered with hundreds of holes. Guess the deer love the salt from your body sweat. UGH!

Lyle came home from the Trinity Alps on Friday, and Hilary left to go backpacking in the Trinity Alps on Friday (different areas, though). Ethan and his family are really into backpacking. Here's a picture Ethan e-mailed me after their trip:

So, supposedly (as I was told by my two children) one of the advantages of backpacking is the beautiful scenery. I think I'll just enjoy what scenery I can see out my car window, thank you very much!

1 comment:

  1. I am with you 100%! I'll take a drive with you any day and see some great scenery and enjoy myself totally.
    I did enjoy seeing your great kids and the "fun" they had backpacking though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete