Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Have you ever read the book shown above? I know my BFF Jill has!! The book starts out like this: "I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

Well, unlike Alexander, I had no clue that yesterday was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day when I woke up! I thought we were going to visit Dr. Look, get Hilary's four wisdom teeth pulled, and come back home (with pain meds, of course) and relax. When we went for the consultation, they said to plan to be there for one to one and a half hours.

We showed up at Dr. Look's office at 8:30 a.m., and the surgery went well. They called me back to the recovery room, and we were set to leave at 10:00 a.m. -- until they took her blood pressure. It was soooo low they could not release her. So, we had to wait! Then around 11:00 a.m. she started throwing up, which made her mouth bleed and bleed. It was one thing after another. At around 1:00 p.m. she started to "come to" so they took her back into the surgery room and hooked her up to an IV again and gave her some anti-nausea medicine, and Dr. Look numbed her mouth again. While they had her in there, they noticed signs of her getting dehydrated (NO DUH!! She hadn't had anything to drink since midnight the night before!!). So, they ended up giving her 2 bags of IV fluid.

Of course, I didn't pack a lunch or take anything with me because I had a good breakfast and thought I would be home by lunch time!! Good thing I have an excessive amount of "fat" to live on, but I was very, very hungry!! And...when I'm very, very hungry -- I'm very, very grouchy! :)

Finally, her blood pressure came up some and at 3:30 p.m. we got released to go home. (In case you weren't counting, that's 7 long hours in a horribly uncomfortable chair in a little recovery room). I came around to the ramp to pick her up. Now, mind you, it was something like 113 degrees yesterday. She is soooooo miserable. I put her in the car and start to leave the parking lot. I didn't see a small curb that stuck out and ended up hitting it with my back tire. I know, go ahead and say it, "You stupid idot!" There, I said it for you. This is what happened:

I was at the entrance to Shasta High School, and I had to call my Mom to come get Hilary and get her home and out of the heat. Then I called Bob at work and had to wait (in the 113 degree weather) for him to come and change the tire. I finally got home around 5:30 p.m.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that it costs $1,892 to have your four wisdom teeth pulled when you have no dental insurance (and you have to pay that before the surgery).

P.S. A note for those who go to Redding Neighborhood Church and know about the 40 Day Fast From Sins of the Tongue: If I had to pay $5 for every negative thing I said yesterday or everytime I complained or whined, I would have ran out of cash and maxed my credit limit on both my Mastercard and Visa. I'm starting with a fresh slate this morning -- isn't God's grace and mercy a beautiful thing?

1 comment:

  1. That was a long day. I have had a few of those myself. How is Hilary today.